Monday, January 28, 2019

Searching for a Spiritual Sunday, Maybe


Growing up, I was baptized Episcopalian, in my teens, I joined a more evangelical Christian church (possibly for the babes), and then eventually developed my current agnostic/Buddhist beliefs. While I like where I am in my beliefs and values, I miss the community of church. I miss the devotion of a few hours to find meaning, a lesson, and motivation for the coming week. Finding a few hours to encourage personal development and service to others.

I try to meditate daily, but even guided meditation isn't doing it. My favorite meditation leader, Tara Brach, gives many amazing talks, which I turn to when looking to do "the work." While I HIGHLY recommend checking out all of her talks and meditations, especially Stress and Every Day Nirvana, I still long for the community.

It is a hard thing to find these digital days, community. I am a stay at home mom and the only adult conversations I have is the 20 minutes during parent pick up and when my husband gets home, if we can talk over the children yelling for our attention. I have Instagram friends, but I hardly know their real first names, only their IG handles, and only what they want to share on social media.

So, how do we create community? Meaningful community? Purposeful community? Where we can commit a few hours to each other, in service, in contemplation, in productivity? How do we find the time with our children's activities, family obligations, and general reclusiveness.

Next Sunday I am going to attend a Unitarian Church  service to see if that is a fit for me in an earnest attempt to find community. Perhaps old habits die hard? I'll keep you updated.... if you are out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment