Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Finding a New Purpose

2018 ended in a terrible way for me. 

This brought me into a new year in a major funk. I am a gal who always has clear intentions going into a new year. I know what my next steps are going to be, where I want to go, how to get there. 

2019 did not start that way. I felt lost. I was floundering for ideas, purpose, I was down, feeling like I was just existing.

Yesterday I started to write stuff down to help me start a direction. Anything. While I don't have any major goals yet, I have a few plans to keep me positive and moving forward.

2019 Goals


1. Learn Italian. 

After our trip to Europe last spring, it is certain that Italy is my favorite country to visit. We stayed in Airbnbs and tried to do as the locals do, but also enjoying a tour or two. I fell in love with the food, the language, the culture, the architecture, the history, and did I mention the wine? Definitely the wine.

Learning Italian will empower me to visit the country again and feel braver when conversing with Italian locals. That was a big pain point for me on our last visit, while luckily, most people speak English; I am certain I would feel much more comfortable knowing more of the language, rather than just the general greetings. 

I am starting with the Duolingo app, but will be looking into actual lessons or courses soon. Do you have any recommendations? Do you speak multiple languages?

2. Grow more/eat more plants.

Plants ground me. Whether I am growing them in my garden, in a pot indoors, or a cactus on the mountain, plants connect me to something bigger than me. I am a vegetarian, working harder on eating less and less animal products. By eating more plants, I will have more energy, be healthier, and reduce my carbon footprint. This will also continue to create good habits for my boys and their health.

My sister, who just finished her last round of chemotherapy (YAY!), and I will be working together on creating some plant-based meal plans. This is a form of cooking together, but across the country... and may play into my next goal, too.

3. Act creatively.

This is to ensure I am doing something outside of being a mom, wife, friend. While all of those things are of dire importance to me, it's easy to be lost in those roles. This ensures I look inside to find me, my voice, my visions for things. This can be painting more, writing more, blogging more, picking up my real camera again... 

How did the beginning of 2019 find you? I hope you have some clarity in the path you are venturing down this year. I hope it is a year of growth and positivity for all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment