Friday, June 9, 2017

Coffee Consciousness

Let’s be honest, coffee is an accessory. I remember the first time that realization hit me. I had just moved to Scottsdale, AZ and was headed to an affluent outdoor mall with my sister. We had to stop for coffee first to walk around with. We did this every time we went to this mall. Initially it was Starbucks, but it changed as soon as the local coffee shop, Press Coffee, opened across the street. Truthfully, I felt even cooler walking around with a Small Biz logo on my little cardboard cup.

But now, I am taking a fresh look at this portable beverage fad. I am working very diligently to stop participating. My reasoning?

Ayurveda

Sitting and enjoying a meal or beverage not only creates conscious eating, which helps to prevent over consumption, it also strengthens your agni, or digestive fire. By staying in the coffee shop, and using a ceramic mug, you can focus on your coffee, be mindful of the warmth and flavor, enjoy conversation with your friend, and engage in your local community.


Reducing Waste

To-go cups are the ultimate convenience. They have a lid so they don’t spill easily and they come with a nice cardboard sleeve so you don’t burn your hand. Some even come with a nice little stopper so you won’t spill it when you cruise over that speed bump. Yes, yes, so convenient. But, at what cost? Cutting down trees, more unsustainable fuels used for the plastic cap, and the unreal amount of waste we are producing.

At a conference I attended recently, catering offered both cup types. I used the ceramic cup every day, and was happy to see many others do the same. I am also an animated talker and still never spilled a drop. Woot! While I did use a disposable cup for water, it was made of corn and compostable, so that gave me a little relief, but it was still waste.

I also think it makes you look pretty hip hanging out at a coffee shop with a REAL mug. I mean, who does that? Only the regulars, right? Ultimately, I think it would do us all a little bit of good to slow down and enjoy the coffee.


Do you try to reduce waste in your everyday life? How so? Or have you not thought about it? What changes can you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment