Friday, May 26, 2017

Interview with "The Vegans"


I lovingly call these friends of mine "The Vegans," because they are the only friends of mine who have gone vegan and stayed vegan. The first time I attempted at the vegan lifestyle was after I read the book "SkinnyBitch" in 2009. Randi had gone vegan as well around the same time frame and I found a lot of comfort in having a friend who found the same things important as me. It's often a lifestyle change that brings about a lot of "concerns" from folks... ie "Where do you get your protein?" (Another post for another day). It is good to have community for support in the early days when you may not have the tool set to educate the people questioning your motives.

Since then, I have gone back and forth between vegetarianism to meat-eating, but I always found myself going back to vegetarianism. Recently, I have been inching closer and closer to vegan, but haven't quite made it. Randi and Kevin have been been vegan since forever. I think it is so amazing and admirable! Here is a quick Q & A with them. As my plant-based experts, you will likely see more from them down the line!

How long have you been vegan?


Randi: 8 years, almost exactly to the day.

Kevin: 6-ish years….I don’t know the exact date.

What inspired you to go vegan? (Reasons, resources, books, movies, etc.)


Randi: I was introduced to some undercover footage of animal agriculture and processing. It was enough to change me right then.

Kevin: My lovely wife [Randi]. Like anything positive in my life she was the catalyst for change. She came home one night with the book “The Engine 2 Diet and it all clicked from there.

Have your reasons for being vegan changed? If yes, how so?


Randi: I originally started out vegan for animal rights. The more I dove into the lifestyle, the more I learned about the health and environmental benefits as well.

Kevin: I started out exclusively for health reasons. As the years go on, animal rights and the environmental side have become more important.

You have a son, has he been vegan since birth? How have you dealt with the haters?


Randi: In all technicality, Ira was given cow based formula during his first two days of life. Everything else has been vegan. I really try to avoid anyone who might have differing opinions towards raising children vegan. I usually take everything they say with a grain of salt because everyone has an opinion on the best way to raise your child.

Kevin: That is my absolute favorite thing. Raising our kiddo to be a compassionate person is an amazing feeling. We actually haven’t had to deal with too many “haters.” I’m a big believer in educating those that have differing or misinformed views. You don’t get anywhere by being defensive or attacking.

Have you found community in other vegans?


Randi: YES! We have met some amazing people in the vegan community. They have always been so welcoming.

Kevin: Absolutely. Some of our best friends have been a result of the vegan community (thanks Instagram).

How do you eat when you travel or visit family and friends?


Randi: We usually try to bring as many snacks as possible but also research through Happy Cow or other websites places to eat. We get really excited looking at food.

Kevin: We plan our trips around food so we rarely get stuck without anything to eat. I LOVE making “omni friendly” vegan dishes for friends to help show them that our way isn’t so bad.

How do you plan/prep your meals for the week?


Randi: We don't and it's really something we are trying to work on. Dinner is always decided on last minute so it's always a scramble putting it together. It usually ends up being a super simple recipe from Happy Herbivore.

Kevin: Simplest answer…..Rice, beans, and greens.

What changes have you noticed in your health?


Randi: I have always noticed I have felt “lighter” in my conscience. I also notice my energy levels are higher. Also, the more veggies we add, the better I feel.


Kevin: Quicker recovery time and a clear conscience. When you stick to a predominately whole foods diet you are giving your body the best fuel possible. When the food on your plate aligns with your values you really can’t go wrong.

Kevin, you said "quicker recovery time," what do you mean by that?


Kevin: After working out. Quicker recovery time equals little to no soreness. Ability to get back to it without taking any supplements.

What advice would you give to someone looking to start a vegan or plant-based life?


Randi: I always congratulate them on the conscious step. I say, every little bit counts. It can be a huge change and it does get easier.

Kevin: Jump in and get shit done, simply put. Go all in for 28 days (that’s how I started) and you will never go back. Also, stay positive and educate yourself at all times.

Will you share your favorite vegan recipe?


Randi: Cheater Pad Thai from Happy Herbivore.

Kevin: Black Beans and Rice from “The Engine 2 Diet.” We’ve been eating that once a week for the last 6 years and it NEVER gets old.

If you have any questions or need resources on a plant-based life, they Kevin and Randi are an excellent resource, they certainly have been for me! They will be visiting early in June and I cannot wait to share some of our plant-based food adventures!

Have you thought of going vegan, vegetarian, or pescatarian? What attracts you to that lifestyle? Or, what prevents you from making the change?

No comments:

Post a Comment