Friday, May 12, 2017

Mother's Day 2017


Moms. Who would we be with out them? I'm lucky to have my mom and my bonus mom (stepmom). Both of them powerhouses and absolutely someone to emulate.

Growing up in two different houses, with two very different styles (styles of parenting, styles of cooking, styles of discipline, and even style of home decor) I was certainly well rounded when I set out on my own at eighteen. It wasn't until I became a mother myself that I actually realized everything my moms instilled in me, no matter how different.

My mom always said, "Remember who you are," when I would walk out the door. She was putting the thought in my head that 1. I am her daughter, and the granddaughter of her parents. 2. I need to have self respect and not allow anyone to disrespect me. 3. I have control over my choices, so I better make good ones.

She taught me about Feng Shui and comfort. She taught me about indulging in things I enjoy and she also gave me space to be me and explore my mind. She would help me to decorate my room in my bohemian ways and let me burn nag champa too. She let me be me. She will always be my safe place. She will always be home to me.

My bonus mom had the tough job of taking on two new teenage kids as her own. Creating a new home for all four kids, plus a dog, and a new husband. To me, she did it seamlessly. We called (and still do) my dad and step mom "The Parents" because she never wanted to be called "mom." She didn't want to take my mom's place. She wanted to augment my parents' roles in my life, be a teacher, inspiration, and source of love and support. She has always treated me as her own.

She has taught me that formalities don't matter as long as you can work your ass off, you can get anywhere. She has taught me the joy of outdoor adventures and challenging oneself with new scary ones! She has taught me the importance of a fine wine, but more importantly, as of late, Prosecco!

I am who I am, because of who they taught me to be. I will be forever grateful to them.

How will you be honoring your mother this Mother's Day? How are you spending your Mother's Day if you are a mom? 

No comments:

Post a Comment